Mercury appears to move backwards in its orbit to the naked eye. The planet does this strange loop thing that I have never understood. This occurs 3 times a year & can have devastating effects on us all, so here are some tips.
What it does ~
Mercury rules over Communication of all kinds, Travel, and Technology. Therefore, during Rx periods communication, travel, appliances, cars & computers can be affected badly. Mercury has the effect of causing things to backfire on us. What you expect ends up not happening at all. Things don’t work out. Plans are cancelled. Flights are cancelled or rerouted, luggage is lost, worse case scenario: plane & train crashes, also a great deal of car accidents. More occur during Rx periods than at any other time of the year. Miscommunication and misunderstandings seem to rule the day, therefore, many relationships break up during Rx periods.
Who is affected ~
Everyone. Mercury does not discriminate; however, if you have Mercury in the astrological house of your sun sign, you may be affected more severely than other people. I am a Gemini, which is ruled by Mercury. I also have Mercury in Gemini so for me, retrogrades can be really bad news. This is the main reason I pay close attention to when retrogrades occur.
What you can do ~
Our ancient ancestors often made note of the planets and stars looking for favorable signs in order to plan important events. During a Mercury retrograde it is unwise to embark upon any endeavors that are under Mercury’s planetary influence. If possible, please limit your activity in the following areas:
- Travel, especially by plane, but also ship, train, & car for long distance drives of several hours. This should be avoided, if possible.
- Driving – please be extra alert and careful. More accidents occur during Rx periods than at any other time of the year, with the possible exception of Memorial Day weekend in the US.
- Paperwork – do not sign any important documents during an Rx. It can get lost or be misinterpreted, which can lead to major problems
- Appliances & Vehicles – you should not make any significant purchases during this time or the item has a good chance of being a lemon. Also, if your car needs work, get it done before the retrograde begins, otherwise try to wait it out unless it’s an emergency. Mechanics often botch things up during retrograde periods. Above all, do not purchase a new car at this time. I did once. That was before I knew about Mercury Retrograde. NEVER again!
- Communication & Relationships – please think before you speak. People are going to be naturally prone to misunderstanding and misinterpreting one another during a retrograde period. Also, be extra patient with others, especially your mate and children. These are the people you love the most, the relationships that are the most important in your life, so be sweet, loving, and patient. Know that all this will pass in a few weeks.
- Pets – they are also affected. They can become more mischievous than usual or they can just be downright naughty. Please be patient with them as well and remember to show them your love and compassion.
- Teenagers – I have a teenage daughter & I can tell you all, based upon her experiences during retrograde periods, the little teen dramas of her friends loom ever larger during an Rx and these kid attempt to sweep as many other kids into their self-created dramas as they can, so parents, be forewarned. Retrogrades are the time we all have to be more vigilant than usual and keep an eye on your children’s texts, Facebook, Twitter, & emails. This is when a lot of online harassment can occur.
In conclusion, know that all this passes in about three weeks, but when things go wrong during a retrograde the effects can be long lasting, even permanent. My husband lost his job during a retrograde and ended up unemployed for four scary months and we nearly lost our house. Relationships break up during retrograde periods, but once Mercury goes direct such effects can be life-long and the couple never reunites.
So be careful out there, and if anyone would like an enchantment to help smooth over teh tumultuous energies, I am performing them for clients for the upcoming retrograde period on Thursday, August 25th. Please use the secure PayPal link at the end of this paragraph. The price is $40 per person. My soy votives burn 30-35 hours and you will receive a written report detailing how your candle performed & will include my psychic interpretations of any remains your candle may leave behind. This is a single votive enchantment, usually $45, discounted to $40 for Mercury Retrograde.
I wish you all a safe and blessed Mercury retrograde period, and remember, PLEASE think before you speak. Consider your words carefully.
Here is additional information about the current Mercury retrograde period from astrologer Amy Bird’s blog. It’s quite informative.
Upcoming retrograde periods for the remainder of 2016 are:
December 19, 2016 – January 8, 2017.
I will be performing an enchantment for that Mercury retrograde period as well and if you order I require payment by December 10th with the Enchantment being performed on December 12th, 13th, or 14th.
Nefer Khepri, PhD., R. M-T.